Our foster "child" needs a home. She's a great dog, it's just... one too many (Todd would argue that it's a few more than that too many on some days, but he is responsible for the last addition before Lizzie). She's been passed over by some folks because she's not a purebred. But she's cute and she's freaking brilliant. She's not so hot on the obedience commands because I really think she thinks they're pointless. However her house manners have improved DRAMATICALLY and most changes from rude to polite only take one or two corrections to fix.
She LOVES playing with Bernie and Indy and they with her. Kinsey even tolerates her. She's respectful of the cat, crate trained.... cannot, absolutely cannot go to a home that takes their dogs to off-leash parks. I don't believe in them and would be absolutely devastated if something happened to her. Oh and she's "ambidextrous" meaning she can chase (and catch) her tail in both directions. She's also got a spring in her ass... just call her Tigger. Four feet straight up is NOT a problem.
But... I'm tired. And she is VERY attached to me. Too attached. It's odd she's so attached to me given her horrible start was with a woman back yard breeder. WHO comes up with a 1/2 Schipperke, 1/4 Chihuahua, 1/4 Fox Terrier mix?? The attachment to me makes it difficult for Todd to get her to oh... "go" when she's outside. And if I leave for a bit it takes her awhile to settle down, especially if another dog or two has gone with me. She is a cuddler so she will usually curl up in his lap and sleep eventually, but getting to that point took some time.
Sadly... I'm a hardass. There's an application, a home check and a specific donation amount to SPDR required for the girl. And did I mention I'm a hardass? And really picky? And think whomever gets her would have a blast with her in obedience classes and agility classes? And possibly flyball classes. And that hardass, picky part... I'm not kidding. To my own detriment probably.
Had you asked me yesterday I would have offered Indy up for adoption since he ate the pockets out of one of my fleece vests for microscopic crumbs. I've only half forgiven him. So depending on my mood and how long it takes to fully forgive him....

6 comments:
This was in today's Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/08/AR2008060802239.html
And this was a local blog post about this article: http://dcist.com/2008/06/09/pet_cause_or_pe.php
Thought you would find these interesting.
Two month process? YIKES! I'm not THAT much of a hardass. On the flip side of the property issue...we have been turned down by a shelter despite a lifetime of experience with Schips because we DIDN'T have enough property.
Breed rescue does operate a little differently than shelters. Home check is SOP in breed rescue, application too.
Bernie isn't entirely my fault. He was the consolation prize when Jester didn't work out. You wanted him, and he bonded to me.
Call it payback for Taz, which went the other way.
Elwood -- plllllbbbbbbb
you wanna bring him over here? Chad won't mind. Maybe this dog will listen to him.
amy -- lizzie listen to someone.... hmmm.... probably not.
Post a Comment